After I was diagnosed with clinical depression at the tender age of 21, I was prescribed a regiment of antidepressants. The only problem was that they didn’t work.
- Top Post: Photos: The pretty Ghanaian female student who posted her nud£ pics online to be famous (See Pics)
- Baby girl born with one eye and a penis on her forehead (See Photos)
- Maheeda reveals she had s£x with Davido (Details)
- Snoop Dogg changes his skin to white and changes his name too [PHOTOS]
- OMG!! Rihanna caught F1ng£r-1ng herself in new pics (See Photos)
Over the years, I learned that there really isn’t a one-size-fits-all when it comes to managing depression. What works for one person may not harvest the slightest improvement for another; what proves successful one season may suddenly lose its winning streak in the season that follows.
Declaring war on depression and deciding to reclaim your life from its clutches every single day is an ongoing battle that requires weapons of various forms and classes.
Here are the weapons I’ve particularly found helpful on my own journey:
Lower blood pressure, reduced anxiety, and — according to a University of Wisconsin study — heightened activity in your left prefrontal cortex (which correlates with greater levels of happiness and positive emotions) are just a few of the many benefits of meditation. Meditating for even just a few minutes a day can give you the type of clarity, quietness, and peace of mind you need to have a more positive outlook on life.
Studies have found that a consistent yoga practice can lead to a significant increase in serotonin levels (which can lead to feelings of well-being and happiness). Additionally, yoga stretches, strengthens, and realigns your body, causing you to feel physically relaxed and rejuvenated—an excellent way to begin your morning or unwind in the evenings.
According to a 10-year study, those with large networks of friends outlived those with fewer friends by 22%. Strong social support helps people cope with stress and trauma (by lowering your cortisol levels), provides you with a sense of belonging and purpose, and improves self-esteem and self-worth. In addition, touch plays a vital role in our overall health. When you embrace someone, oxytocin (a bonding hormone) floods your body and causes you to feel secure.
Pursuing leisure activities can alleviate depression. That’s because hobbies are a great source of eustress — the type of stress that makes you excited about life.
Regular physical activity releases endorphins which boost your energy, elevate your mood, and improve your self-esteem. Fortunately for the majority of us, you don’t have to be an all-star athlete to take advantage of these benefits. Raking leaves, sweeping the house, gardening, and dancing can help elevate your mood, just as biking, aerobics, swimming and jogging can.
You’ll receive added benefits from performing these activities outside, where you can take in the sun’s vitamin D and fend off depression with natural light.
6. Shutting out negative media
News surrounds us everywhere we go, on the internet, on TV, in the paper. The type of media we digest can strongly impact mood, especially for highly-sensitive people. If you know something may upset you, opt to close the browser, change the channel or flip the page. Also consider the type of music you listen to. Does is elevate your mood? Does it have a positive message?
When’s the last time you took a break from the internet altogether? Combing through countless emails every morning or social media posts throughout the day can cause us to feel sluggish, weighed down, depressed, and overwhelmed. Taking a weekend break from the computer is liberating and relaxing.
7. Professional help
Unfortunately, there’s still a stigma around mental illnesses of varying kinds. We shy away from speaking about our issues as to avoid being labeled, judged, or misunderstood. However, it’s time we give ourselves the permission to seek the help we need instead of remaining in despair. Regular counseling or medication may be what your body requires. You may want to consider a support group, or natural remedies such as St. John’s Wort.
This is perhaps the most overlooked weapon but one of the most effective. Many people balk at the idea of pampering themselves, but when you make it a point to show kindness to yourself, you are valuing and honoring yourself as a person worthy of happiness. Whether it’s massage therapy, a mani-pedi, a new outfit, a bubble bath, lunch at your favorite restaurant, or simply post-it notes covered with positive affirmations, show a little more love to yourself each day.
Subscribe to our BBM Channel (C001B7774 or search for “411Vibes”) to get live updates.
CLICK HERE to follow us on Google+ so as to get updates on published posts & videos
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- Top luxury cars owned by Nigerian Celebrities + See the celeb who owns the most expensive (Photos)
- Maheeda goes raunchy again (See Photos)
- Nicki Minaj is pregnant – See who the baby daddy is! (Look)
- What would you do if this happened to your sister or daughter? (Must See Photos)
- Photos: The pretty Ghanaian female student who posted her nud£ pics online to be famous (See Pics)
- See photos of the boy who keeps Hyena as PET in Kano (Look)
- Ice Prince introduces his Girlfriend on Instagram [Photo]
- I Will Marry Any Man That Can Look Me In The Eye & Say I Forgive You For Sleeping Around – Genevieve Nnaji
- How Omawumi’s boobs popped out on stage (Look)
- Top Post Today: Tiwa Savage steps out without panties or bra (See Photos)
- Sexy actress Keira Knightley goes completely topl£ss (18+ Photos)
- Full details of how the Ebola victim in Port Harcourt died (A Must Read)
- Top Post Today: Tiwa Savage dumped by husband, Tee Billz? (Photos)
- Wife str1ps husband’s mistress nak£d in Bayelsa (Details)
- Ghana’s foreign minister, Hannah Tetteh’s son $extape with Legon University VC’s daughter sextape leaks (Look)
- Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s wife files for divorce – Says Pastor Chris committed ADULTERY (See Details)
- Juliet Ibrahim’s ex husband finally speaks about failed marriage & divorce – See what he said!
- Woman shoots boyfriend for not ejaculating during s£x (Photo)
- The powerful and wealthy men in Nigeria sponsoring Boko Haram have been exposed! (Look)
- Shocking photo showing 2 Couples having $ex outside nightclub sparks outrage online (18+ Photos)
- She’s got bigger assets than Toolz [See Photo]
- See what Ruggedman says about having s£x with Maheeda
- Revealed: Top Nigerian celebs endorsement deals + See how much they truly worth! (Look)
- Brother And Sister Caught Having S£x On Church Property (PICTURED)
- Shocking photo showing 2 couples having s£x outside club sparks outrage online (18+ Photos)
- Maheeda goes wet and totally na k£d in kitchen – showing all her parts (See Photos)
- Nu d£ pics of popular Nigerian actress resurfaces online to hunt her! (See Pics)
- See what happens when lions fight themselves to be crowned “king of the Jungle” (Look)
- Download EjeAjo by PSquare ft TI [Official Video]
- See the beautiful girl who was born without a vag1na (Photo)
- Unilag girls post their nak £d and L£s b1an pics online
- Between pastor Chris Oyakhilome and wife Anita before she filed for divorce (Details)