This article was written by Terry Gaspard – Do you ever wonder if you’ll get out from under the shadow of past relationships? It’s not uncommon for people who are divorced or breaking up with a significant other to find themselves attracted to the same or similar types of partners. But as you grow and learn about yourself, it’s important to look at the choices you make in romantic partners and to see what lessons can be learned from your experiences.
- Afrocandy releases S£x-Tap£ she recorded with a guy (18+ Video)
- Jennifer Lawrence nud£ photos leak (Look)
- Meet Pastor Chris Oyakhilome’s Very Beautiful Grown Up Daughter, Sharon (See Photos)
- Beyonce Exposes Her Breasts In New Pics (SEE PHOTOS)
- This is proof that Yvonne Nelson & John Dumelo might just be s£xing around but ain’t dating!
Becoming more aware of red flags that may signal problems can also help you to pick partners who are capable of sustaining a loving, romantic relationship. The key to healing from the past is to make a decision to stop pouring your energies into saving a negative relationship. If you believe you are worthy of love and happiness, you won’tsettle for less than you deserve in relationships.
Carolyn, an attractive and intelligent single mom in her early 40’s, finds herself repeating negative patterns from her past. She tends to fall for men who are emotionally distant like her father who left when she was seven years old. Carolyn reflects: “I just keep wasting time with the same types of men, men who hurt me, who are unfaithful and leave me alone.” Her comments mirror the sentiments of many of my clients who just can’t seem to break away from the emotional attachment they feel to unavailable or inappropriate partners.
Do you worry that you will make the same mistakes over and over again? Moving out of denial and the influences of the past is a huge hurdle. But you have an opportunity to learn from your experience and build the kind of relationship that eluded you in the past.
Here are 11 ways to avoid repeating patterns of past relationships:
1. Gain awareness of your own history, dating back to childhood. For instance, if you are a people pleaser you may be drawn to partners who you attempt to fix or repair. Learn more about how your parents’ unhealthy patterns have impacted your choices in partners.
2. Accept your part in the dynamic. For instance if you’ve experienced a pursuer-distancer pattern, you may realize that you have a tendency to avoid intimacy (distancer) or fear abandonment (pursuer). It’s natural for one person to see their style as preferred and to be convinced that their partner needs to change — neglecting to see their part in the tug-of-war over intimacy.
3. Examine your expectations about intimate relationships. You might be focused on your dream of how a relationship should be rather than the reality of how it is, leading to disappointment. There is no such thing as a soul mate or perfect partner.
4. Let go of being a victim and positive things will start to happen. When you see yourself as a victim, your actions will confirm a negative view of yourself. Instead, focus on the strengths that helped you cope so far in life. Don’t obsess about past choices in partners but learn from them.
5. Don’t rush into a romantic relationship. Make sure you’ve dated someone for at least two years and are at least in your late 20s before you make a life-long commitment to reduce your chance of divorce.
6. Make sure that you have common values with individuals who you date.If you marry someone with drastically different values, you will face complex issues that could put you more at risk for divorce.
7. Try not to compare your relationship to your friends. Relationship envy or fear of being alone can cause you to stay with an unacceptable partner or to settle for someone who isn’t a good match for you.
8. Stop comparing your own romantic relationships to your parents.Attempt to see yourself as capable of learning from the past, rather than repeating it.
9. Use positive intentions such as “I am capable of creating loving, trusting relationships.” Recognize the newness in each day and that you have the power to make positive things happen.
10. Focus on the things that you can control. Realize that you can’t control your ex’s behavior or your parents but you can choose a life partner who shares your view of love, fidelity, and commitment.
11. Write a new narrative or story for your life– one that includes taking your time picking partners who are trustworthy and willing to work on a committed relationship if that’s your desire.
With time and patience, you can begin to visualize the kind of life you need to thrive. You don’t have to let your past dictate the decisions you make today. Restoring your faith in love includes building relationships based on love, trust, and intimacy. Remember to be gentle with yourself and others on your journey.
Subscribe to our BBM Channel (C001B7774 or search for “411Vibes”) to get live updates.
CLICK HERE to follow us on Google+ so as to get updates on published posts & videos
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- OMG!! See what Christ Embassy did to Anita Oyakhilome concerning divorce mess (Look)
- 101 Private Pics Of Female Hollywood Celebrities Leaked
- Hunger Games, Jennifer Lawrence leak£d nud£ photos by hackers (See Photos)
- Photos of the man born with his head upside down – See how he looks (See Photos)
- Nasty Things Pastor Chris Oyakhilome said about Anita After She Filed For Divorce
- UNILAG CSO Murdered By Cultists – See What happened [Look]
- Tiwa Savage shows off her new bodyguard who used to guard Chris Brown – He is a hottie! (Photos)
- Jennifer Lawrence nud£ photos leak
- Afrocandy releases S£x-Tap£ she recorded with a guy (18+ Video)
- Six Foods To Avoid Before You Meet Your Woman In Bed (Must See)
- Go Topless Day! Women Around The World Take Off Their Shirts To Celebrate (PHOTOS – NUDITY)
- Teebillz Finally Responds To Tiwa Savage ‘Divorce Warning’ [LOOK]
- Chris Oyakhilome’s Brother, Rev. Ken Also Accused Of Adultery (Details + Photos)
- Revealed: The real cause of Dagrin’s death – You need to see this!!
- OMG! See what might happen to Joan Rivers if she comes out of coma – This is so bad!
- How Omawumi’s boobs popped out on stage (Look)
- Baby girl born with one eye and a penis on her forehead (See Photos)
- Why does “married” Tiwa Savage always expose her body this way?? Why! (See Pics)
- See the ten most kissable female celebrities in Nigeria
- Meet Former Miss Nigeria UK, Who’s Engaged To A ‘Carpenter’ (See Photos)
- See the pretty Ghanaian female student who posted her nud£ pics online to be famous (See Pics)
- Top Post: Photos: The pretty Ghanaian female student who posted her nud£ pics online to be famous (See Pics)
- SEE What Davido Said Will Happen If He And Wizkid Ever Meet Again (Look)
- Maheeda goes wet and totally na k£d in kitchen – showing all her parts (See Photos)
- See what Oyakhilome’s divorce is causing Christ embassy – See what is happening!
- Top Post Today: SEE What Davido Said Will Happen If He & Wizkid Ever Meet Again (Look)
- Arsenal to sign £55m Falcao ahead of transfer deadline (Details)
- Top Post Today: Tiwa Savage steps out without panties or bra (See Photos)
- I Will Marry Any Man That Can Look Me In The Eye & Say I Forgive You For Sleeping Around – Genevieve Nnaji
- Ghana’s foreign minister, Hannah Tetteh’s son $extape with Legon University VC’s daughter sextape leaks (Look)
- Photos: This Guy Proposed to his Girl in Shoprite, Ikeja Lagos
- OMG!! Rihanna caught F1ng£r-1ng herself in new pics (See Photos)
- Sexy video vixen Lovette Shade releases HOT new raunchy photos (Look)
- Top luxury cars owned by Nigerian Celebrities + See the celeb who owns the most expensive (Photos)
- Husband Catches Wife in the same Hotel he Took his Girlfriend To In Lagos – See What Happened Next