Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when making a choice of institution. I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to lecturers… Well, that’s about all. Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the freedom to be an adult.
- Top Post Today: Omg!! Miley Cyrus goes completely shirtless – willingly showing everything! (See Photos)
- Rihanna Snapped In ‘The Shortest Dress Ever’ At New York Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- The true story behind Vector’s ‘proposal’ to me on a plane – Chidinma finally speaks!
- Adultery was NOT Anita Oyakhilome’s Ground for Divorce, Fresh Facts Emerge (LOOK)
- Photo: Tiwa Savage steps out without panties nor bra (Look)
Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed. They are so pampered, making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.
- 1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:
Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes, etc.. It is absurd; these are adults!
- 2. Cost of education:
It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and have access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive. On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is enough to build a house.
- 3. Public university gives “exposure” to students:
It’s more than obvious that public university students are ”sharper” than private university students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life. In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.
- 4. Life on and off campus is FUN:
There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel, it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults. One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.
- 5. Hard work is compulsory:
Students in public universities have worked through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.
- 6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:
With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc., public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves. –
Post written by Ehi-Sulaiman Miriam and Tina Ohanu
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- Kim Kardashian hints on new sex tape with Kanye West (Look)
- Pics of popular Nigerian actress resurfaces online to haunt her! (See Pics)
- Four Types Of Women A Nigerian Man Would Most Likely Settle Down With (Must See)
- Cardinal Okogie speaks on Chris and Anita Oyakhilome divorce – You need to see what he said!
- Grammy Winner Jill Scott Private Pics Leaked [ Photo]
- Omg!! Miley Cyrus goes completely shirtless – willingly showing everything! (See Photos)
- How To Know When A Woman Is Attracted To You (LOOK)
- Did you know that RuggedMan & Monalisa Chinda Are crazy in Love – See[Proof]
- BBM CHATS GOT LEAKED! Nollywood actress that couldn’t pay for her Brazilian hair after 6months (Look)
- Rihanna steps out in revealing raincoat inspired outfit – Will you wear this? (See Photos)
- The Reason I Fought With Oyedepo And Tore His Book – Pastor Tunde Bakare speaks!
- Revealed: See what Wizkid did with Rihanna when he was in LA! (Look)
- Photos from Joan Rivers funeral
- Breaking News: Nigeria records another Ebola case in Lagos (Details)
- SEE Genevieve and AY Doing Rough Things in the Bedroom (Photos)
- Beyonce shows off her flexibility with mind blowing sexy pose (Photo)
- Nigerian girl goes WILD at a night party with a man [Video]
- Exposed: Married man caught “doing things” with wife’s sisters (Look)
- Photos: Rihanna has gone Lesbo! – Caught “doing things” with a female (Look)
- Photos: Inside Joan Rivers’ $35m Lavish New York Home (Look)
- Obasanjo’s son shot during Boko Haram attack (Photo)
- How Omawumi’s boobs popped out on stage (Look)
- Terry G Reveals deep secret about a Nollywood actress – See what he said
- This is definitely Kim Kardashian’s sexiest selfie ever – flaunts major cleavage (Photo)
- Check Out bikini photos from Miss Universe Ghana 2014
- We’re Coming: Boko Haram ‘Writes Warning Letter’ To Abuja Barracks
- Top Post: OMG! You Need To See What Dbanj Said About Genevieve – She’ll Hate Him For This
- P Square’s secrets finally revealed!
- Why does “married” Tiwa Savage always expose her body this way?? Why! (See Pics)