“Today, the Accountant-General Office reported we have $2.0bn. Which means the honourable minister spent $2.1bn without authority of the NEC and that money was not distributed to states, it was not paid to the three tiers of government,”
“On that line, a four-man committee consisting of the governors of Edo, Gombe, Kaduna and Akwa Ibom states was constituted to go through the books of the NNPC and Excess Crude as well as the Federation Account.
”The four-man committee will check the books of the NNPC, most especially the issue of excess crude and what is not remitted into the Federation Account.
“The Federal Government, in conjunction with the Central Bank of Nigeria, will look inwards to see how to support and how much they will give to states, especially on the issue of outstanding salaries owed by the states and even the Federal Government.”
“We are talking about transparency; we are talking about change. And what we saw from those numbers, which I believe that Nigerians are entitled to know, is that whereas the NNPC claimed to have earned N8.1tn, what NNPC paid into the Federation Account from 2012 to May 2015 was N4.3tn.
“What it means is that the NNPC withheld and spent N3.8 tn.
“The major revelation here is that the entire federation, that is the Federal Government, the states and all the 774 local governments, the amount the NNPC paid into the Federation Account for distribution to these three tiers of government came to N4.3 tn and the NNPC alone took and spent N3.8tn.
“This means that the cost of running the NNPC is much more than the cost of running the Federal Government. That tells you how much is missing, what is mismanaged and what is stolen. There are huge figures.”
“If the Federal Government cannot spend without appropriation, why should any agency spend without appropriation.
“This is what the Constitution provided for and this is what President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to do; henceforth all money must go to the Federation Account.
“If you were doing that, you would not have a situation where the NNPC alone will spend N3.8trn and remit to the federal, states and local governments N4.3trn, which means NNPC is taking about 47 per cent and that explains all the leakages you are talking about.”
“The Excess Crude Account is 52 per cent owned by the Federal Government and 48 per cent owned by the states and the local governments.
“So the decision of the NEC is to set up this committee of four to look at the operations of the Excess Crude Account and make recommendations to council on its future.
“The other thing the committee will do is to look at the operations of the Federation Account, particularly the shortfall and again come back to council with very clear recommendations as to what to do.
“We have not been given a time frame but as you can imagine state governments are under pressure, many of our state governments are unable to pay salaries on time without recourse to borrowing, so this is very important to us.
“This is an all-governors’ committee; we wear the shoes and we know where they pinch. So we are going to do this as quickly as possible.
“The next meeting of the council is on July 23; we hope to complete our work and be in a position to report to council on that day. So within the next one month, we will be done by God’s grace.”
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 10 wonders of the ancient world – You will be so surprised to see this! (+Photos)
- Top 10 most romantic nationalities in the world – You need to see which nationality is #1 (+Photos)
- 10 weird military vehicles of World War II (With Pictures)
- Finally! President Buhari appoints Chief of staff – You won’t believe who he appointed!
- Top 10 horrific children killers in history of the world – You will be shocked to see their evil deeds! (With Pictures)
- 10 best iPhone Apps for students – They will really help you!
- 2015 BET Awards winners: See the complete list!
- Top 10 best reality TV shows ever – See which is #1! (+Photos)
- The 10 most evil criminals in history – Their evil deeds will leave you in a big shock! (With Pictures)
- 25 hottest blonde celebrities of all time (With Pictures)
- 10 famous people with strange phobia – #1 will leave you in a big shock!