How President Buhari was humiliated in New York – The Cable reports that mismanaging resulted in several missed opportunities and uncomfortable moments for Buhari and his official team.
- Why Aki and Paw Paw separated
- 11 shocking photos of the Kardashian clan before fame.. Unbelievable!
- 10 Nigerian actors who you never knew are lecturers in universities (With Pictures)
- Forbes releases top 10 richest African musicians for 2015 – Number 2 will shock you! (+Pics)
Naij.com has reported earlier that the president missed a very important session on Boko Haram insurgency.
He was also stopped from meeting with Pope Francis because he was not correctly briefed by the Nigerian UN mission personnel.
The pope delivered a speech at the general assembly on Friday, September 25.
Not only was Nigerian leader made to come in late to the event because of messy preparations, he also took a wrong gate rather than the one kept for presidents and heads of state.
Buhari was then stopped from seeing the pope by security staff because of his late coming.
The president came in while other heads of state and government had already lined up to shake hands with the pope, and he was stopped by security operatives from joining in.
The presidency had sought to clarify the missed meeting as not being part of the official meeting scheduled for Buhari.
“The meeting at which Nigeria was reportedly absent was not one of the official events of the United Nations for which President Muhammadu Buhari and his modest delegation are in New York,” Garba Shehu, a presidential spokesman, had said.
The focus was also on the Lake Chad Basin and the effects of the terrorism to which Nigeria’s full contribution was awaited.
The listed UN meetings had the item: “The Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) will hold a side event on food security and humanitarian consequences of conflicts-driven displacement in the Lake Chad Basin region.”
It was arranged for 3pm US time (8pm Nigerian time), but Buhari’s programme organised by the Nigerian mission did not point it out as one of the meetings he should attend.
Witnesses to both events defined as “embarrassing and unacceptable” the attitude of the Nigerian mission team which led to media backlash back home and on the social media.
The witnesses also accused the presidential media team of rushing to the press to defend Buhari’s nonappearance at a very vital meeting whose talk was on a matter in which Nigeria has been worst hit by the activities of the terrorists.
However, the event the Nigerian president ultimately attended in place of the one on the insurgency was not only poorly attended but was full of protocol breeches, as Buhari was already seated before other speakers commenced strolling in.
President Buhari has arrived New York on Thursday, 24, late at night. Nigerian leader is accompanied by 21 politician as his official team.
The UN General Assembly, which comprises all 193 members of the global organisation, provides a unique forum for multilateral discussion of the full spectrum of international issues covered by the Charter.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 10 female celebs who were caught cheating (With Pics)
- 10 Nigerian celebrities who rocked matching outfits with their kids (With Pictures)
- Top 10 biggest churches in the world and where they are located (With Pictures)
- Top 10 Nigerian songs by superstars with vague and empty lyrics
- 20 Celebrities who had real sex on camera (With Pictures)
- 10 Nigerian actors who are lecturers (With Pictures)
- The 12 hottest Kim Kardashian’s booty shots (With Pictures)
- Top 10 celebrities with the dirtiest homes (+Photos)
- Jim Iyke and son enjoy fine time together; gushes about his baby mama – So adorable (+Pics)
- 12 Fresh Prince of Bel Air stars: Where are they now?.. (+Photos)
- See how Don Jazzy embarrassed Dbanj on stage – So sad!
- The 14 most powerful Ghanaian celebrity couples you should know of [Photos]