Court sacks David Mark – Reports just reaching TheinfoNG.com have it that the election of the immediate past Senate president, David Mark, has been nullified by a Court Of Appeal sitting in Makurdi, the Benue state capital. The court has also ordered for a re-run of the election within 90 Days.
- 25 Sure signs your boyfriend is a husband material – See this now!
- 13 Nigerian celebrities and their parents (With Pictures)
- Ladies, see the 10 lies men tell to deceive you..
- Photos of Nigerians deported from UK..
It would be recalled that Mark’s victory at the Benue south senatorial district election was challenged by the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate at the election, Daniel Onjeh on the grounds that the poll was marred by irregularities.
But the election petitions tribunal sitting in Makurdi had in October upheld the election of the former Senate president.
Justice Dipeolu then relying on sections 124 and 135 of the Electoral Act 2010 as amended, held that “the petitioner contested the results of election conducted in 700 out of 1,015 pulling units but failed to adduce both oral and documentary evidence to prove his case.”
She said: “Most of the testimonies given by the petitioner’s witnesses were contradictory, hearsay and circumstantial evidence which is not admissible in law as provided by Section 126 of the Evidence Act.”
But undeterred by the ruling, Donald Onjeh challenged the decision of the tribunal, before the Appeal Court.
According to Channels TV, Mr Onjeh’s lawyer, Adetunji Oso, argued that the tribunal erred when it held that the papers tendered by his client were mere documentary hearsay.
He urged the Appellate Court to allow his appeal and set aside the decision of the Tribunal.
Citing documents tendered, he said the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), declared Senator Mark winner of the poll while the collation of results for the Benue south senatorial district’s election on March 28 was still ongoing in seven of the nine local government areas of the state.
In setting aside the election of the former Senate president, Justice Ige ruled that the election of David Mark was fraught with so many irregularities that it failed all tests of “freeness and fairness”.
The nullification of David Mark’s election comes three weeks after a the Taraba State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal voided the declaration of Darius Ishaku of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as winner of the poll on the ground that Alhassan, popularly referred to as Mama Taraba, was the bonafide winner of the election.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 25 Sure signs your wife is a wife material – See this now!
- 5 Nigerian male celebrities who got married to older women (With Pictures)
- See what Seyi Shay and Cynthia Morgan were caught doing (+Photo)
- Top 17 worst celebrity wardrobe malfunctions that went viral – #17 will leave you in stitches!
- 10 celebrities who should be tested before intercourse – they’ve had too much sex with too many partners! (With Pictures)
- 5 Mistakes women make when dealing with cheating husbands
- 10 romantic things to do after making love – this will make your lover love you more!
- The 10 hottest girls Justin Bieber has slept with.. (With Pictures)
- Guys, How to kiss a girl properly and make her go crazy – See this to become a pro!
- The long list of men Kim Kardashian has slept with – #6 will leave you in a big shock! (With Pictures)
- Top 10 Nigerian female celebrities who are driving the most expensive cars (With Pictures)
- Top 20 celebrities with the most kids – #1 will shock you! (With Pictures)
- Top 10 richest musicians in the world & their net worth..
- The 15 most anticipated movies of 2015 – See which is number 1! (With Pictures)