It’s tough. Too often, people confuse “strong women” with “man haters who would rather grow old with a bunch of cats than get married.”
While it’s true that many independent ladies find more happiness within themselves as opposed to in a relationship, it doesn’t mean we don’t want to find love.
- Top 14 craziest pre-wedding pictures of Nigerian couples – This will leave you in stitches!
- 10 Qualities of fake girlfriends every man needs to know
- 20 photos of Nigerian female celebs with and without makeup on – You need to see their real looks!
- Top 7 richest Nigerian musicians in 2016 – This Forbes ranking will surprise you! (With Pictures)
I consider myself somewhat of a strong woman (internally, externally I can only lift about seven pounds), and I’ve been in some rewarding, fulfilling relationships. But they all abruptly end after I get this overwhelming sense of needing to get back in touch with myself.
I don’t have all the answers, but what I think it boils down to is conflicting feelings of wanting to find love, but not wanting to compromise my values.
While I can’t speak for all my independent sistas, my personal experience has been slightly depressing. I get excited when I find a guy who I’m not only attracted to, but also have some level of respect for based on the few things I’ve seen (holding the door open for people, chasing his dreams, calling his mom, etc).
Then I make the mistake of confusing those few moments of glory for their entire personality.
I get attached to the person I thought they were and am disappointed when I learn that it’s only a small piece they used to lure me in.
The guy who just last week was pouring his heart out about how much he loves meeting new people is now refusing to talk to strangers at a party.
I get that people are people and no one is perfect all the time, but if you’re not up for being an equal partner to a strong woman then why are you trying to be???
Falling in love is scary in general. But it’s uniquely terrifying for a woman who understands how serious it really is to invest time in someone.
We’re grown. We’re past the point of “dating for fun” (seriously what’s fun about dating people you don’t really like??).
We don’t want to take the time to get to know someone romantically if they’re not ready to live up to the same standards we do.
The real fear isn’t ending up alone; it’s ending up with the wrong person.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 14 Booties that are hotter than Nicki Minaj’s – #1 will make your head spin! (With Pictures)
- 9 Nigerian music stars whose careers became stagnant after leaving their first label (With Pictures)
- 7 Lessons we learnt from ensuing drama between Tee Billz and Tiwa Savage
- 10 most complicated things about women – This is what gets men really frustrated
- 5 Popular Nigerian artistes who’ve made hits from stolen songs (With Pictures)
- 10 Natural ways to get rid of black spots on your face – They work like magic!
- 8 Nollywood actresses who married “Tear Rubber” husbands (With Pictures)
- Here’s the current situation with Tee Billz following the infamous Instagram rants
- Top Nigerian celebrities who are best of friends – You’ll be shocked! (+Photos)
- Shocking revelations made by Tiwa’s husband TeeBillz; People she slept with & how she…