Obama gives directive to all public schools in the US to allow transgender students use bathroom they identify with
The Obama administration yesterday recommended that all public school districts in the entire country allow transgender students to use whatever bathroom and locker-room that matches their gender identity. In the letter sent to all school districts in the US, transgender students should be allowed to use wherever they want without been asked for documentation to prove their preferred sexuality or medical diagnosis.
In a letter outlining guidance for schools that were sent out yesterday, the administration said as a condition of receiving federal funds, “a school may provide separate facilities on the basis of sex, but must allow transgender students access to such facilities consistent with their gender identity.”
The letter says the school should not require any medical diagnosis, nor should they demand documentation reflecting the student’s gender identity before taking steps to protect transgender students, “even in circumstances in which other students, parents, or community members raise objections.”
Adding that while schools are permitted to offer single-use restrooms to students who want “additional privacy,” they should not require transgender students to use single-use facilities if their classmates are not required to do the same.
- 5 Men Genevieve Nanji has slept with – #1 will shock you! (With Pictures)
- 15 Celebrities you forgot had passed away (With Pictures)
- 16 Nigerian celebrities you didn’t know studied law (With Pictures)
- 11 celebrities associated with Satan worshiping – This will shock many! (With Pictures)
The letter was signed by officials from the Departments of Justice (DOJ) and Education.
Alongside the letter to school districts, officials will distribute a list of “emerging practices,” advice for how to deal with a number of issues, from ensuring faculty uses the student’s preferred pronoun to preventing staff from inadvertently disclosing a student’s status as transgender.
The best practices document also gives guidance on how schools can “protect the privacy rights of all students,” holding up a suggestion from Washington state that recommends offering “students who may feel uncomfortable sharing the facility with the transgender student(s)” the option to use a separate single-occupant restroom.
Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin called the directive ‘groundbreaking’. He said in a statement:
“This is a truly significant moment not only for transgender young people but for all young people, sending a message that every student deserves to be treated fairly and supported by their teachers and schools,”
Source: ABC New
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 8 things Nigerians should expect now that subsidy has been removed and fuel sells for N145
- 10 Nigerian celebrities who are Masters Degree holders (With Pictures)
- Nigerian women give shocking reasons for cheating on their husbands (Must Read)
- 10 outrageous gifts celebs gave their parents – This will shock many (+Pics)
- 8 Nollywood actresses who married “Tear Rubber” husbands (With Pictures)
- Photo of Davido’s sister that got married today, Coco Adeleke + Bridal train dabbed!
- 8 Nigerian celebs who did odd jobs before fame – This will shock you! (With Pictures)
- 20 photos of Nigerian female celebs with and without makeup on – You need to see their real looks!
- Top 11 most beautiful married Nigerian celebrities (With Pictures)
- 10 popular Nigerian celebrities and how they lost their virginity – You will NEVER believe this! (+Photos)