Greatest rappers in the history of Hip Hop – You’ve had this argument with your buddies a million times, “Who are your top 5 rappers?” You decide on some rules: “Are we talking most classics or biggest influence?” “New-school or old-school?” “Favourite or greatest?” You laugh, you talk, and it gets heated up with comments like “Big’s got nothing on Pac!” and “Top 3!? Kanye’s not even top 5!” It’s an intense back-and-forth before one of you rolls the window down and shuts things down with a “…that’s just like, your opinion, man…”
- LADIES: If you want to know the guy you’re dating is a husband material, ask him these 4 questions!
- 12 Reasons you shouldn’t buy the new iPhone 7 (With Pictures)
- 12 Most despicable acts committed by Pablo Escobar (With Pictures)
- 7 Photos of Cynthia Morgan that will give you instant head turn!
Truth is, the criteria for the greatest rapper of all time isn’t as easily defined as “most classic albums” or “most multi-platinum records.” The GOAT is all about embodying the medium. They have to live, bleed and breathe hip-hop. The candidates have to be so deep into the music that they have touched the outcome of the genre in one way or another. A rapper can’t call themselves great if they haven’t carved their own path and had others follow. It’s a matter of influence; trends aren’t born from mediocrity.
The rappers on this list are not necessarily the most prolific, most technical or best-selling. The greatest rappers of all time all took the musical style they know and love and redefined an aspect of it. These are trailblazers, innovators and icons. Without further ado, here are the 12 Greatest Rappers Of All Time.
12. Kendrick Lamar
King Kendrick has come to be known as the new king of the West Coast, and with good reason. Since his underground classic mixtape Section.80 dropped in 2011, Kendrick’s gone nowhere but up. His blend of conscious lyrics with sounds moulded from the the streets of Compton make him an all around threat on the mic, not to mention he can rap his ass off.
When his major label debut good kid, m.a.a.d. city dropped, Kendrick was unstoppable (I mean who didn’t hear Swimming Pools at every single house party in 2012). Following that up with what is considered one of the greatest albums of the decade in any genre, To Pimp A Butterfly had him not only loved by fans but lauded by critics.
Getting a cosign from Dr. Dre, and having West Coast legends The Game and Snoop Dogg say that they were passing the torch to him means that Kendrick is up and he’s not coming down for a long, long time. For being in the game roughly five years, Kendrick is headed closer to GOAT status by the day.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 10 Nollywood actresses who can’t do without smoking (With Pictures)
- LADIES: 7 things that happen to your vagina when you stop making love
- 5 things to do after NYSC – Make sure you see this!
- EXPOSED: 5 Major reasons why Ugandan ladies don’t wear panties – You need to see this!
- 7 Nigerian female celebrities who got married to men they snatched from other women (With Pictures)
- 6 Warning signs your liver might be failing – Make sure you see this!
- 7 Nollywood actresses who found love again after divorce and remarried (With Pictures)
- 12 Times The Kardashians were the worst parents in the world (With Pictures)
- 5 Dirty habits of Nigerian campus girls
- 6 Nigerian celebrities who always fly in private jets (With Pictures)