Gov Udom escapes death as Church building collapse – The governor of Akwa Ibom state Emmanuel Udom on Friday, December 9, escaped death as a church building in Uyo, Akwa Ibom state collapsed. The whole building of the church, Reigners Bible Church, located along Uyo Village road, collapsed, witness told Premium Times.
- 15 Nollywood stars you still may not know have died – This list will leave you in a big shock! (+Photos)
- 31 wildest and exciting sex positions you probably never tried and need to (18+ With Pics)
- Forbes releases top 10 richest African musicians – Number 2 will shock you! (+Pics)
- 8 Nollywood actresses who married “Tear Rubber” husbands (With Pictures)
The church was said to be filled to its capacity following the consecration of its pastor as a Bishop when the incident happened.
The death toll from the collapse has hit 100, and is likely to rise to 200, reports said. Punch also reports that scores of worshipers are trapped in the rubble.
Meanwhile, we gathered that the death toll is likely to increase following the effect of the collapse.
“Pastor Akan Week was being consecrated today so the programme was holding inside the Church when suddenly, the whole building collapsed,” a witness said.
He said the church was being renovated due to the expectation of its growing worshipers.
The witness also said many people were buried under the debris of the collapse.
It was gathered that the state governor was supposed to grace the occasion but was not at the church when the building caved in.
“The governor has gone to the scene and is presently there helping with the rescue,” a witness said.
Also, sources have said that many victims of the collapse were taken to nearby hospitals and mortuaries in Uyo.
Another witness said many of the injured persons were already receiving medical attention.
Meanwhile, the emotional spokesperson of the police in the state said: “You need to be here to witness it, there is so much confusion.”
It would be noticed that a similar large-scale collapse happened in Lagos at the SCOAN in September 2014. 115 worshipers lost their lives.
The state governor has also promised an investigation into the collapse.
The governor said, the investigation would help ascertain when safety standards were comprised during construction of the building.
Also, mortuaries in the city is said to be currently over flooded due to the number of casualty from the incident.
According to Daily Trust, Sani Datti, NEMA’s head of media and public relations, while spesking in Abuja said that 115 persons were injured as a result of the incident.
Datti also explained that the emergency response team conducted a 360 degree search at the scene, both in and outside the church, adding that no casualty was left behind.
He also noted that all the patients with head injuries have been evacuated from private clinics to specialist hospitals.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- I found an iPhone on the ground and what I found in its photo gallery terrified me..
- Top Nigerian celebrities who are best of friends – You’ll be shocked! (+Photos)
- 11 A-List Nigerian celebrities who married richer men (With Pictures)
- List of all Illuminati members in Nigeria (+Pics)
- The 10 most expensive cultures to marry from in Nigeria – See which is number 1! (With Pictures)
- 7 Nigerian female celebrities who got married to men they snatched from other women – You’ll be surprised to see this! (With Pictures)
- If you see these 13 symptoms, do an HIV test immediately
- I waited until my wedding night to lose my virginity and I wish I hadn’t..
- 44 Countries Nigerian passport holders can visit without a Visa
- 12 things a girl does when she likes you already..