Naira gains: In less than one week, the naira has gained over N85 against the dollar – thanks to the increased liquidity in the foreign exchange market.
The currency exchanged for N430 to the greenback yesterday at the parallel market. It was N460 to the dollar at the weekend.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday released $100million into the wholesale forwards segment of the market and $80million into the banks specifically for the settlement of dollar demand for school fees, medicals and Personal Travel
Allowance (PTA), among others.
CBN spokesman Isaac Okorafor, in a release, said that its commitment to providing enough forex for legitimate business remained unshaken, pointing out that it would do all that is required to ensure the steady supply of forex to the market.
Naira’s appreciation has raised hopes that the naira/dollar exchange rate may well be on a permanent journey to the N300 to the dollar predicted by some analysts in the past.
The apex bank last week rekindled the forex market by releasing $500million to be accessed through the Deposit Money Banks to fund school fees, Personal travel Allowance and medical bills.
The CBN had maintained that much of the dollar demand had been a bubble created by speculators and hoarders of the greenback, warning market players and keepers of dollars to make hay and sell their holdings to avoid heavy losses.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- Full Video: Bally sucks Ese’s breast #BBNaija
- 10 celebrity lookalikes that proves time travel really exists – You will think #6 & #8 were ‘photoshopped’ (With Pics)
- The 20 most corrupt Nigerians dead or alive – The amount of money #1 stole can feed all Nigerians
- 13 countries with the most powerful militaries in the world – #5 will definitely stun you
- Full Video: The Big Brother Shower hour everyone has been looking for.. (#BBNaija)
- 5 places girls want you to touch in their body that’ll blow their mind – (These are her weak points)
- The 13 most feared criminals in the world right now – #3 is Nigerian and this will make you shiver (With Pictures)