Etisalat, one of the largest telecommunications companies in Nigeria looks set to be taken over by three banks after it failed to pay back as scheduled.
Three banks including Guaranty Trust bank, Access Bank and Zenith Bank are said to be set to take over the Telecomms giant today, Wednesday 8th of March 2017.
According to Premium Times, the loan, which totalled around N541.8bn and involved a foreign-backed guaranty bond, was for Etisalat to finance a major network rehabilitation and expansion of its operational base in Nigeria.
Unfortunately, Etisalat was unable to meet its debt servicing schedule which was agreed last year and this led to Etisalat being reported by the Banks to the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN and the NCC.
Etisalat claimed that its inability to pay the loan is due to the current economic recession presently affecting the nation. The banks on their part have stated that their strictness is due to the pressure from the Asset Management Company of Nigeria, AMCON, demanding immediate cut down on the rate of their non-performing loans by Banks.
According to Premium Times, a senior official of one of the banks stated that they tried to find middle ground with Etisalat requesting that they declare Bankruptcy which would require having receivership management appointed by the banks to oversee its operations.
The NCC are said not to be pleased with the takeover proposal, the source said, as it believes Etisalat was not only a viable going concern, but also willing and able to negotiate its loan servicing.
The takeover is said to occur today as the commission has approved the takeover.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- 7 Photos of Omotola’s second daughter, Meraiah that proves that she will be hotter than her mom
- Checkout Nigerian police ranks and salaries – You wont believe the amount they take home monthly (With Pics)
- All you need to know about Banana Island – Nigeria’s most expensive neighbourhood with 24/7 electricity supply
- 7 celebs Davido helped to become famous – #6 is forever grateful (With Photos)
- 10 of the youngest children sentenced to death – #1 will leave you in a big shock! (With Pictures)
- 14 Nigerian celebs who are allegedly gays and lesbians – #5 was caught (With Photos)
- 10 world’s richest people of all time – Bill Gates is not even on the list & #7 is an African (With Pics)