Another set of 171 Nigerians were on Tuesday repatriated from Libya. The returnees, who were said to be stranded in Libya, arrived at the cargo terminal of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, aboard a chartered Burac Air flight with registration number TNSIB UZ189/190.
They were brought back through a joint effort by the International Organisation of Migration and the National Emergency Management Agency in collaboration with the officials of the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced.
The returnees comprised 95 females of 83 adults, 10 children and two infants; 73 male adults, two children and one infant.
The Deputy Director Search and Rescue, NEMA, Dr. Bandele Onimode, who represented the Director-General, Alhaji Mohammed Sani-Sidi, said that between December 15, 2016 and March, a total of 643 Nigerians had been repatriated.
He said, “There’s a strong collaboration between the IOM and NEMA. Usually the IOM in Nigeria would inform us that the IOM mission in Libya had done some coordination and they have been able to get some of these Nigerians who are ready to come back home. Usually, they would give us this information like four, five days before their departure.
“This number keeps fluctuating. Sometimes, it reduces and sometimes, it decreases but the real figure we are giving is what we received at the tarmac. So, it is a collaboration between the IOM Nigeria and the IOM mission in Libya.”
He said NEMA, in collaboration with other government agencies, would ensure the rehabilitation of the returnees.
The Federal Commissioner, NCFRMI, Hajia Sadiya Farouq, said the organisation was organising a sensitisation campaign to discourage youths from illegal migration.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- 7 Photos of Omotola’s second daughter, Meraiah that proves that she will be hotter than her mom
- Checkout Nigerian police ranks and salaries – You wont believe the amount they take home monthly (With Pics)
- All you need to know about Banana Island – Nigeria’s most expensive neighbourhood with 24/7 electricity supply
- 7 celebs Davido helped to become famous – #6 is forever grateful (With Photos)
- 10 of the youngest children sentenced to death – #1 will leave you in a big shock! (With Pictures)
- 14 Nigerian celebs who are allegedly gays and lesbians – #5 was caught (With Photos)
- 10 world’s richest people of all time – Bill Gates is not even on the list & #7 is an African (With Pics)