Ban on Lionel Messi: FC Barcelona has expressed “surprise and indignation” at FIFA’s decision to hand forward Lionel Messi a four-match international ban for verbally abusing a match official in Argentina’s World Cup qualifier against Chile last week.
Messi was suspended, with a fine of 10,000 Swiss francs ($10,160) by football governing body’s disciplinary panel and is due to miss three more of Argentina’s remaining four World Cup qualifiers after sitting out the 2-0 defeat against Bolivia on Tuesday.
According to FIFA, the Argentina captain was guilty of “having directed insulting words at an assistant referee.”
But his club, Barcelona has come out in defence of their player.
Barcelona said in the statement, “FC Barcelona expresses its surprise and indignation at the ex officio action by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee by suspending the player Leo Messi following the FIFA World Cup qualifying fixture between Argentina and Chile.
“The club considers the four-match suspension finally imposed on the Argentine player to be unfair and totally disproportionate.
“Finally, FC Barcelona wishes to reiterate its support for Leo Messi, an exemplary player in terms of conduct both on and off the pitch.”
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- Meet 10 silent Billionaires in Nigeria – These men control Nigeria’s economy (With Pictures)
- Top 8 Most stylish Kings in Nigeria – 2 of them use the most expensive Rolls Royce cars (With Photos)
- 5 Nigerian celebrities who secretly got married – #3 was even pregnant and no one knew (With Pics)
- 6 things you need to do now if you want to be a millionaire before 40 – #3 is very IMPORTANT
- 15 horrible facts Dubai does not want the world to know about – This will leave you in utter shock (With Pics)
- 12 things a girl does when she likes you already – If you notice #10, you got her bro!
- Meet the richest kids of all time who attended UNILAG – These guys spend like there’s no recession (With Photos)