Bayern Munich trash Arsenal : Ten-man Arsenal were knocked out of the Champions League at the last-16 stage for the seventh successive season following a second-half capitulation against Bayern Munich. A debated decision in the 53rd minute shattered any hopes of the Gunners becoming the first side in Champions League history to overturn a four-goal deficit.
They led through Theo Walcott’s stunning 20th minute goal, before Bayern were awarded a penalty that also resulted in the sending off of defender Laurent Koscielny.
The Frenchman was initially shown a yellow by referee Anastasios Sidiropoulos for his foul on Robert Lewandowski inside the area before it was upgraded to a red once he realised Koscielny made no attempt to win the ball.
Gunners boss Arsene Wenger looked perplexed by the sudden change of heart by the official.
Lewandowski placed his spot-kick beyond the reach of David Ospina to give Bayern a 6-2 aggregate lead and effectively kill off the tie.
The home side then folded as Bayern scored three goals in 12 minutes. Arjen Robben robbed Alexis Sanchez of the ball before Douglas Costa made it 3-1 with a stunning solo goal.
Fellow midfielder Arturo Vidal grabbed a late double, first with an impudent chip before slotting in from Costa’s square pass.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- #BBNaija: TBoss finally explains why Kemen got disqualified, TTT & other housemates react
- 10 most wanted criminals in the world – See the gangs they control & the grave things they’ve done (With Pics)
- This is what Kemen did to TBoss that got him disqualified and evicted from #BBNaija house (Video)
- 10 times Nicki Minaj revealed to us more than what we bargained for – This will knock you out (With Pics)
- See what Adekunle Gold said after Kemen was disqualified for his ordeal with TBoss (Photos)
- 10 powerful leaders in the world that died shameful deaths – #1 was chopped into pieces (With Pics)
- #BBNaija TBoss confesses to housemates about her role in Kemen’s disqualification