Naira gains significantly against the Dollar: The Nigerian naira has continued its resurgence against the dollar as it exchanged N378/$ Friday evening. This is coming barely one month after the currency hit a record low of N520/$. According to Guardian, there is a renewed optimism that the desire of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to achieve rates convergence between the Interbank and the Bureau De Change markets appears to be in the horizon.
- 15 horrible facts Dubai does not want the world to know about – This will leave you in utter shock (With Pics)
- The stars of Home Alone 25 years later – You won’t believe how they look now (With Pics)
- How to tighten the vag*na and keep away bad smell permanently – #4 and #7 does the magic
- 12 things Rihanna doesn’t want you to know – Number 5 is the main reason why she dated Chris Brown (With Pics)
With yesterday’s record, the local unit gained about one per cent over Thursday’s transaction at N380/$ in a move that has seen the currency rebound gradually and steadily in the last three weeks.
At the current rate, the spread between parallel and the new official (retail) segment of the market, where intervention is done at N375/$, stands at N3. The CBN had last month unveiled a new policy that deregulated the retail segment of the forex market, which allowed access to travel allowances, school fees and medical tourism.
Besides, it has intervened persistently in both the interbank and forwards contract market with over $1.5 billion since the new policy, which now crashed the parallel market rate.
CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele, on Tuesday warned speculators that the bank had perfected plans to ensure that exchange rates fall beyond their expectations.This week, the bank intervened with $180million on Monday, $500million on Tuesday and $100million on Thursday, in both 60-day forward market and interbank.
But yesterday, it ended the weekly transactions with $100million offer at the interbank market to meet customers’ demands, out of which authorised dealers were only able to pick $81.347million after an initial bid for $91million.
At the interbank market, usually called the official market, the Naira exchanged for N307/$.Acting Director of Corporate Communications at the CBN, Isaac Okorafor, attributed the inability of authorised dealers to pick up the entire CBN offer to increasing dollar supply and sense of apprehension among dealers, who anticipate a further crash in the rate of the dollar.
He reiterated the determination of the apex bank to sustain its current interventions in the market, adding: “Those who doubt the capacity of the bank to sustain the intervention in the market are beginning to have a change of mind.”
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- 7 reasons why women cry during s*x : The real truth
- 12 things a girl does when she likes you already – If you notice #10, you got her bro!
- A-List Nigerian celebrities who married richer men – #5, #2 and #1 are regretting now (With Photos)
- See the hilarious Whatsapp chat between Thin Tall Tony & his wife after he got evicted on BBNaija
- #BBNaija: Everyone is angry with Bally after he did this to Debie Rise – Even Biggie reacted
- 10 things all women secretly want during s*x – Guys, get in here!
- 5 Nollywood actresses whose marriages unbelievably crashed within 1 year – #2 didn’t even last up to a year (With Pics)