LA Galaxy have told Zlatan Ibrahimovic they are prepared to make him the highest paid player in Major League Soccer history if he joins them from Manchester United this summer. Ibrahimovic only joined United on a one-year deal last summer. There is an option for the Swede to stay longer but while the club are desperate to keep him, the 35-year-old is yet to agree.
- BBNaija Kemen allegedly sent to jail for sexually assaulting TBoss on Live TV?
- 10 times Big Brother former house mate, Uriel showed off her heavy assets – #6 will make you drool (Photos)
- 5 photos of Chidinma and Tekno that prove they are in love and dating – #1 is the deal breaker
- Real facts about Rita Dominic you never knew – #4 and #8 will knock you out (With Photos)
Ibrahimovic has scored 26 goals for United this season.
He will start Thursday’s Europa League last-16 first-leg tie with Russian side Rostov but is about to serve a three-match domestic ban after accepting a charge of violent conduct for elbowing Bournemouth’s Tyrone Mings in the face at Old Trafford on Saturday.
In 2016, Brazilian forward Kaka was the highest paid player in MLS, with a published annual salary from Orlando City of $7.167m (£5.89m).
LA Galaxy paid former England midfielder Steven Gerrard $6.1m (£5.01m) last season. He has since retired.
Sources have told BBC Sport that Galaxy see Ibrahimovic as having the potential to make as big an impact on soccer in the United States as David Beckham did when he joined the club from Real Madrid in 2007.
It is not known what contract length Galaxy – winners of three out of the last six MLS titles – would be willing to offer Ibrahimovic but the club feels it has a realistic chance of signing the veteran frontman.
With his contract expiring in the summer, LA Galaxy could sign Ibrahimovic in advance of a move to MLS during the July transfer window. That is what they did with Beckham in 2007, a signing that was announced in the January prior to his Real Madrid contract coming to an end on 30 June.
However, United will almost certainly have other ideas.
Following their EFL Cup final win over Southampton, when Ibrahimovic scored United’s late winner, manager Jose Mourinho said that while he would not beg the forward to stay at Old Trafford, he thought United fans would be willing to camp in the striker’s garden in an attempt to persuade him.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- 15 things you should never say to a woman – #3 and #1 can make her run away from you
- 7 popular Nigerian pastors that were accused of adultery – #3 & #6 cases shook Nigeria (With Pics)
- Video: Olamide blast Don Jazzy again at Reminisce concert at Ikeja City mall
- 13 actresses who gave blow j*b on screen – #12 & #1 will definitely stun you! (With Photos)
- 8 Nigerian celebrities who gave birth at a young age – #7 was 14yrs when she had her 1st child (Full pics of their kids)
- The untold story of Vampire: How he got N20m hours after rescue & how his juju failed him from dying
- 10 times Nicki Minaj revealed to us more than what we bargained for – This will knock you out (With Pics)