Nigerian senate rejects Magu: The Nigerian Senate has rejected the nomination and confirmation of Ibrahim Magu as chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC. In a majority decision during plenary on Wednesday, the Senate upheld its earlier decision not to confirm Magu as substantive head of the anti-graft agency.
- BBNaija: Full Video of the fight between Bisola and TBoss today – See what caused it
- 20 shocking photos of celebs before and after drugs – #1 will knock you out
- 13 Nigerian celebs and their parents – You have always wanted to see #8 & #2 (With Photos)
- 12 photos of Iyabo Ojo’s daughter, Priscilla that proves she will grow into a very beautiful woman
Announcing his rejection, Senate President Bukola Saraki warned that the integrity of the EFCC must be protested notwithstanding.
”We should not rubbish the entire institution because of an individual,” he said.
Following the decision of the Red Chamber, Senator Dino Melaye (APC, Kogi West) called for the immediate replacement of Magu by the most senior officer of the commission.
The Department of State Security, DSS, yesterday night sent out a letter to members of the senate, stating that acting chairman of EFCC, Ibrahim Magu who was rejected by senators today, failed the integrity test carried out on him by the agency. In the report, the agency said it carried out investigations on all the nominees for the board of the EFCC.
It cleared all other nominees except Magu who they raised a red flag on.
They alleged he lived a high profile lifestyle and flies first class which is against President Buhari’s directive that no public officer should fly first class. The report alleged that Magu kept close company with persons with questionable characters.
Recall that last year, DSS also sent a letter to the senate accusing Magu of corrupt practices and highhandedness, causing him to be rejected by the senate in December 15th 2016. See copies of the new letter to the senate below:
It will be recalled that the Senate last December rejected Magu’s confirmation on the job following a security report submitted to it by the Department of State Security, DSS.
Having declined his nomination, the Senate proceeded to return him to President Muhammadu Buhari for reconsideration, sparking a furore in the polity.
But the president sent his name to the Senate for a second time, along with a lobbying team put in place to ensure he was confirmed.
President Buhari had reportedly acted on intelligence reports from the international community persuading him that Magu was the best candidate to lead the ongoing anti-corruption war.
But even that proved insufficient as the Senate overwhelmingly voted to deny his confirmation as the nation’s anti-corruption czar.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- The long list of hot women Drake has slept with – Don’t be shocked if your babe is on the list! (With Pics)
- A-List Nigerian celebrities who married richer men – #5, #2 and #1 are regretting now (With Photos)
- #BBNaija: Debie Rise, TTT, Efe and TBoss nominated for eviction – See what Marvis did to Debie.. Wow! (Video)
- Rare childhood photos of 27 Nigerian celebs you’ve never seen before – I bet you won’t stop laughing
- 12 International artistes who drew inspiration from Fela Kuti – #1 & #9 even sang in Yoruba Lang. (With Pics)
- 10 reasons why Apostle Suleman may not be guilty of all the sexual allegations – #6 will make you hate the alleged mistress
- 11 Nigerian celebs who can’t do without smoking weed – #5 & #8 smoke like a chimney during winter (With Pics)