The leader of the Indigenous People Of Biafra, a separatist group in South-eastern Nigeria, Nnamdi Kanu, has perfected his bail conditions, his lawyer and senators from the South-east have told PREMIUM TIMES.
The Federal High Court, Abuja, had on Tuesday admitted Mr. Kanu to bail on health grounds, but gave seemingly tough conditions, which included having ‘a highly respected’ Jewish leader, a ‘senior highly placed person of Igbo extraction such as a senator’; and a highly respected person who owns landed property and is resident in Abuja as sureties.
“Nnamdi Kanu’s bail has been perfected,” said his lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor, Friday afternoon. “Nnamdi Kanu has met his bail conditions.”
Asked if his client, who is being tried by the Federal Government for treasonable felony, had regained his freedom, Mr. Ejiofor, speaking on phone and apparently attending to something important, withheld further comments but promised to “call back for details”.
PREMIUM TIMES gathered that South-east senators, Thursday night, met at the Apo, Abuja, residence of the Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, where they resolved to help Mr. Kanu perfect his bail.
One of Eyinnaya Abaribe and Theodore Orji was asked to stand as surety in fulfilment of the conditions to produce a ‘respected’ Igbo leader.
A source knowledgeable about the meeting disclosed that: “First, the caucus agreed to work as a team to secure Kanu’s release. It was agreed that the leader of the caucus and senator representing Abia South Senatorial District, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe or the senator representing the IPOB leader’s Abia Central Senatorial District, Senator Theodore Orji, should take him on bail.”
The source said the senators made contact with Mr. Kanu’s lawyer, Mr. Ejiofor, last night, soon after they agreed to help the IPOB leader secure bail.
The source added that efforts were being dissipated towards ensuring the IPOB leader regained his freedom on Friday, and expressed confidence that other conditions, especially one on the Jewish surety, would be perfected.
Mr. Kanu was first arrested on October 14, 2015 by the operatives of the State Security Service.
- CLICK HEREto join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- Top 8 Most stylish Kings in Nigeria – 2 of them use the most expensive Rolls Royce cars (With Photos)
- Emeka Ike releases list of Nollywood producers who sleep with actresses – The list will shock many
- 21 World famous celebrities you never knew were Nigerians – This will shock you! (With Pictures)
- 15 Nigerian billionaires that own private Jets -Number 3 has up to five Aircrafts (With Pictures)
- 10 world’s richest people of all time – Bill Gates is not even on the list & #7 is an African (With Pics)
- The 13 most feared criminals in the world right now – #3 is Nigerian and this will make you shiver (With Pictures)
- Nigerian celebs and the breathtaking houses they live in – Genevieve’s crib is crazy! (With Photos)