5. God Works In Mysterious Ways
I know, I was just as surprised as you are to discover that this isn’t from the Bible. No one knows how this became a thing, although Blue Letter Bible reports that it may have originated from William Cowper’s hymn “God Moves in a Mysterious Way.” See Deuteronomy 29:29 and Romans 8:28 for what the Bible says about God’s mysterious ways. Other seemingly Biblical phrases that can’t be found in the God’s Word include “Money is the root of all evil” and “Pride comes before the fall.” (See 1 Timothy 6:10 and Proverbs 16:18).
‘So, how come we have so many common ‘Biblical’ sayings?’, I can hear someone ask.
The problem is that we are simply too dependent on others, our pastors, parents and so on. So when they say something, we are inclined to just take it without actually doing any research of our own. Thomas Kidd, a history professor at Baylor University in Texas, explains it best. He said: “No matter if John Wesley or someone else came up with a wise saying – if it sounds proverbish, people figure it must come from the Bible.”
With that being said, I hope this article gives us that extra push to spend more time reading the Bible so we know what is and isn’t in it.
Which of these was the biggest shock for you? – Mine was “Heaven or God help those who help themselves”
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- 7 facts about Simi and Adekunle Gold you didnt know – Too many secrets unveiled
- 8 ways to make a man regret dumping you – #7 is the key!
- 11 female celebs whose broken marriages didn’t stop them from shining – #9 became stinking rich after divorce (With Photos)
- 16 Signs you may have HIV without knowing – if you notice #6, #12 or #14, please visit your doctor
- 8 Nigerian celebrities with multiple baby mamas – #1 has 39 children from countless women (With Pics)
- 20 Hollywood movie tricks that look so real- You wont believe your eyes when you see them (With Pictures)
- 7 beautiful daughters of Nigeria’s wealthiest men who are still single – #3, #4 & #5 will make a perfect bride