Usain Bolt is feeling no pressure in retirement, confident his best times can remain world records for decades. The only sprinter to capture the 100- and 200-metre track titles at three consecutive Olympics, Bolt retired last month after the world championships in London. He holds the world record of 9.58 seconds in the 100 and 19.19 in the 200 — both set in Berlin in 2009. “I think [they’re] going to last a while,” Bolt said during a promotional event in Japan on Tuesday.
- Meet Dija’s husband, Rotimi and their son – See how they met, got married & other top facts you need to know about them (PHOTOS)
- Your wife was a sex slave in Lead City Uni – Yung6ix’s manager talks about Akpororo’s wife
- A-List Nigerian celebrities who married richer men – #5, #2 and #1 are regretting now (With Photos)
- The 6 physical features that men can’t resist in ladies – #4 and #5 will make even a billionaire lose control
“I think our era with Yohan Blake, Justin Gatlin and Asafa Powell and all these guys was the best era of athletes. If it was going to be broken, it would have been broken in this era, so I think I have at least 15 to 20 more years.” Bolt’s farewell major meet didn’t go to plan in London.
After a suprising third-place finish in the 100 behind Americans Gatlin and Christian Coleman, Bolt’s last race ended in the anguish of an injured hamstring while anchoring Jamaica’s 4×100-metre relay team.
Gatlin, often cast as the villain during Bolt’s long dominance, said he thinks his rival will be back. But Bolt brushed off that notion.
“I have nothing to prove, that’s the main reason I left track and field. After you do everything you want there is no reason to stick around,” bolt said.
Bolt was the life of the party every time he competed, captivating fans with his charisma and smile.
As for the next biggest star in track, bolt said he doesn’t see anyone at the moment who he expects will follow in his footsteps.
“it’s hard for me to pick someone,” bolt said. “I think what made me stand out was not only the fast times that I ran but my personality that people really enjoyed and loved.
“if you want to be a star in sports and take over a sport you have to let people know who you are as a person, not just as a track athlete.”
Jamaica won only one gold medal at this year’s worlds, a disappointing haul given its success in the last decade. Bolt said his country’s young athletes will have to step up now that he’s gone.
“the biggest thing with jamaica now is if the youngsters want it,” bolt said. “over the years, one thing I’ve learned is you have to want to be great. If you don’t want to be great, it won’t happen.”
From olympic gold to united red?
Of course, wanting to be great and doing what it takes to make it happen are two different things, too.
“I’ve noticed a lot of the young athletes, as soon as they get their first contract and start making money, they really just don’t care as much anymore,” bolt said.
“a lot of them are satisfied with getting their first contract, going out and making their first team. If they are satisfied with that, then we’re in trouble.
“hopefully, a few of these young guys are going to be hungry and want to be great and if we get those guys we will be ok but so far, it is not looking good.”
As for the future, bolt says he is interested in playing soccer and possibly settling down and getting married.
“something I’ve always wanted to do is play football,” said bolt, a die-hard manchester united supporter. “my team is working on that but we haven’t confirmed anything yet!
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- 12 things a girl does when she likes you already – If you notice #10, you got her bro!
- 5 Nigerian celebrities who secretly got married – #3 was even pregnant and no one knew (With Pics)
- 10 most powerful celebrities in Nigeria – The country shakes when these guys cough (With Pics)
- Nigerian female celebrities that have done plastic surgeries (With Photos)
- 12 people Olamide helped to become rich & famous in Nigeria – #11 can kill for Olamide (With Pics)
- 11 female celebs whose broken marriages didn’t stop them from shining – #9 became stinking rich after divorce (With Photos)
- Check out how Floyd Mayweather Jr spends his millions – His cars, his insane wristwatch collection, private jets, mansions & many more (With Pics)