An Egyptian lawyer has sparked outrage and he revealed he believes women who wear ripped jeans deserved to be raped. Nabih al-Wahsh was speaking during the Infirad Show, a current affairs talk show in Egypt hosted by Saeid Hasaseen.
Incredibly, Wahsh said it was part of the ‘national duty’ to rape women wearing such garments because they were “inviting men to harass them”. He also said that his view was even more valid if the jeans were ripped from the back, according to Al Arabiya.
He said: “Girls must respect themselves so others respect them.
Brave female guests on the show attempting to fight back against Wahsh’s views after being outraged by his comments.
The debate was aired on October 19 on the Al-Assema satellite channel as guests discussed the country’s draft law fighting prostitution and debauchery.
Maya Mursi, Head of the National Council for Women’s Rights said the comments were a “flagrant call” for rape and violate ‘everything in the Egyptian constitution.
The council has now filed a complaint about the statement to the Supreme Council for Media Regulation.
But despite the backlash, Wahsh has refused to back down, and has even released an updated statement to another media website where he said ‘his daughter would also deserve that [rape, sexual harassment] if she decided to wear jeans that are ripped from the back’.
Wahsh’s damaging comments come as a recent #MeToo campaign has taken over social media.
Women around the world are sharing the two simple words on social media to show the true scale of sexual assault.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- The 6 physical features that men can’t resist in ladies – #4 and #5 will make even a billionaire lose control
- Nigerian female celebrities that have done plastic surgeries (With Photos)
- 14 Nigerian celebs who are allegedly gays and lesbians – #5 was caught (With Photos)
- 7 Nigerian celebs you never knew are from Royal families – #3 & #4 are stinking rich but still humble (With Photos)
- 12 people Olamide helped to become rich & famous in Nigeria – #11 can kill for Olamide (With Pics)
- 7 facts about Simi and Adekunle Gold you didnt know – Too many secrets unveiled
- 11 female celebs whose broken marriages didn’t stop them from shining – #9 became stinking rich after divorce (With Photos)