Prior to winning best Hip-hop at SoundCity MVP, South African rapper, Refiloe Phoolo famously known as Cassper Nyovest, had an exclusive interview with Joey Akan of PulseNG, where he talked about African Hip-hop in general and the state of Hip-hop in Nigeria. Commenting on the controversial 2017 single “You Rappers Should Fix Up Your Lives” where M.I Abaga admitted that South African rappers are dominating the Hip-hop scene in Africa.
Cassper agrees with M.I Abaga, stating as quoted:
“Yes, South African Hip-hop is in the forefront of African Hip-hop in general. It might not be as popular as it is in South Africa in Nigeria. But I know for a fact that the rappers from Nigeria are kinda unknown in SA,” he says
“If we talk about crossing over, I know that a lot of people in Nigeria know about my music. I know that in Kenya and Ghana it’s the same thing.
“I’m not just talking about me, I’m talking about the movement. Sarkodie is big in Ghana, but are there other rappers who are as big as Sarkodie from Ghana? The South African Hip-hop movement is big across, also in London, New York…we are out there performing in different countries.”
Cassper also confessed the topic is controversial as he tried to explain his point further. “Me saying that might offend people here.
They might feel that I’m taking shots at Nigerian music. But that’s not the deal. If we are to discuss in terms of numbers and appeal across the world, it’s just the way it is.”
Well, Cassper Nyovest is quite right saying this topic is controversial. But it is also advisable to note that everything he said in the interview are facts. South Africa is in the forefront of African Hip-hop, and Nigerian rappers are unknown in South Africa.
CLICK HERE to follow our Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- Ladies, If you want your man to love you for life, always tell him these 13 things
- See inside “King of Money” Victor Okafor Ezego’s mansion, palace, property and graveyard (Photos and Video)
- History of Aso Rock Presidential Villa & mind blowing photos you’ve never seen before
- The heartwarming story of Paul Okoye and his wife – How they met, age difference, their children and much more (Photos)
- “I dated her for 8 yrs, never had sex with her, took care of her, after her MSc, she dumped me” – Man shares story
- 10 richest football club owners in the world – Number 3 is a Nigerian club owner (With Photos)
- 10 criminal cases that shook Nigeria in 2017 – #5 almost made Lagos empty