He masterminded his talented daughter’s rise to fame in Destiny’s Child, before helping her get started on a solo career. Now Beyonce’s father Mathew Knowles has spoken out about colorism in the music industry, saying that his superstar daughter and her sister Solange wouldn’t be as famous if they had darker skin. Talking to Ebony, he said the biggest black female stars all had lighter skin.
‘When it comes to Black females, who are the people who get their music played on pop radio? Mariah Carey, Rihanna, the female rapper Nicki Minaj, my kids [Beyonce and Solange],’ he told Ebony magazine.
Since parting ways with Beyonce professionally in 2011, African-American Knowles has reinvented himself as a college professor, and is promoting a new book about race relations, titled Racism: From the Eyes of a Child.
In his interview the 66-year-old also addressed his own deep-rooted attitudes to skin color, saying that when he first met Beyonce’s mother, his ex-wife of 31 years, he assumed she was white.
‘I actually thought when I met Tina, my former wife, that she was White. Later I found out that she wasn’t, and she was actually very much in-tune with her Blackness.’
CLICK HERE to follow our Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- A tragic story of a family that had three massive lions as pets – Don’t open if you’re too emotional (With Real Pictures)
- The 13 most feared criminals in the world right now – #3 is Nigerian and this will make you shiver (With Pictures)
- 12 celebrities you forgot had passed away – #3 died at his peak (With Photos)
- 11 Nigerian Child Stars of the 1990s’ and 2000s’ you won’t recognise today – #7 is a cheerful giver & #5 recently married (With Photos)
- 12 of the oldest spinsters in Nollywood reveal why they haven’t married, GENEVIEVE’s reason is quite funny
- 8 Nigerian celebrities who gave birth at a young age – #7 was 14yrs when she had her 1st child (Full pics of their kids)
- 12 Rich celebs who don’t help their poor siblings (With Pictures)