2. Let’s talk about areole, baby
For those who aren’t aware, the circular pigmented area around the nipple is called the areola. Small openings around the nipple called lactiferous ducts release milk during lactation, while sebaceous glands provide lubrication, protection, and help with suckling during breastfeeding.
Some more tidbits about the areolae:
- They range in color from pale yellow to nearly black.
- Their darkness tends to fit with the person’s skin tone; darker areolae for dark skin, etc.
- Their pigment is darker than the surrounding skin so that the baby can find it easier.
- Sexually mature women usually have larger areolae than men or young girls