Davido reveals why his dad threatened to arrest D’Banj – HKN artist Davido has revealed his rough road to stardom despite being the son of a billionaire. The Omo Baba Olowo singer revealed how he had to go against his father’s wish to be who he is today. It was as bad as his dad Deji Adeleke threatening to his now manager Kamal Ajiboye.
- 15 Celebrities you forgot had passed away (With Pictures)
- 5 Men Genevieve Nanji has slept with – #1 will shock you! (With Pictures)
- 4 things you MUST do to become that girl every guy wants to date
- Top 10 Nigerian celebrities you didn’t know are siblings (With Pictures)
In a new interview with Ebro Darden of Hot 97 in New York few days after his performance at One Africa Music Festival Davido shared his initial challenges in pursuing his music career.
‘I was hanging out with D’banj at the time, he had that Kanye deal. I now told my Dad that I was trying to stay, and he was like ‘What? My friend you better go back to school. I called my roommate, and told him ‘Imma do this no more. If my Dad calls, tell him you don’t know where I’m at. When I left, my family was looking for me for like six months. They sent a letter to D’banj’s house, they sent letter to Psquare’s house, they sent letters to everybody’s house. My Dad was calling the school, and they were telling him; ‘He wasn’t even here for the past semester, he left…’ It was like the whole Nigeria knew who I was before I even dropped a single. Kamal that is my manager now, used to be Don Jazzy’s assistant. My Dad started calling him and said ‘if I see you guys with my son, all of you are getting arrested.”
He also revealed he has three songs in the works with American rapper Young Thug. He also defined his genre of music.
“I don’t even call my music Afrobeat, I call mine Afrofusion. To me it’s just too different. I can’t tell you it’s Afrobeat, because it’s not. ‘You know the originator of the Afrobeat is Fela. Fela has a sound which I can say has heavy baseline, brass instrument, and the percussion is different. If you ask me ‘Gobe’ is Calypso, Afro mixed with Calypso. But I feel like the Afrobeat is catchy and has caught the wave since time. Because I know some Afrobeat songs that I don’t want to call Afrobeat. I call them Afro-Pop or I call Afro Trap. Everything is just still African music.”
Meanwhile, Davido has decided to be giving back to the society by sending less privileged students to school through a scholarship he named after his late mother Veronica Adeleke. In 2016, he said he will send four indigent students to school.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- 9 A-List Nigerian artistes that really don’t like themselves but pretend to (With Pictures)
- Top Nigerian celebrities who are best of friends – You’ll be shocked! (+Photos)
- 10 Nigerian celebrities who hate themselves so badly – This will shock many! (+Photos)
- 14 Nigerian celebrity look alikes – This will shock you! (With Pictures)
- See the beautiful wives of top Nigerian comedians – Who is the finest? (With Pictures)
- 8 Nollywood actresses who married “Tear Rubber” husbands (With Pictures)
- 20 photos of Nigerian female celebs with and without makeup on – You need to see their real looks!
- SO SAD: Popular actress shot dead a day to her birthday (See Photos)
- 12 Things you should always tell the one you love… Very important!
- 15 signs the two of you are simply meant to be together..