No tax certificate no international passport – Nigerians would soon be made to show evidence of tax payment before they could obtain passports – This is the submission of the Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Mr Tunde Fowler – Fowler made the statement at the 136th meeting of the Joint Tax Board.
- 7 MAJOR reasons why guys don’t like dating virgins
- The secret behind the wealth of E Money – From Ajegunle to Lekki
- Top 12 Richest drug dealers in the world – Their net worth will shock you! (With Pictures)
- Ladies! 10 things your man should never make you do, no matter how much you love him – Be wise!!
Nigerians would soon be made to show evidence of tax payment before they could obtain their international passports.
This was the submission of the Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Mr Tunde Fowler yesterday, November 28 at the 136th meeting of the Joint Tax Board which had the theme, “Increased Inter-Agency Co-operation to Enhance Tax Compliance and Optimise Revenue Collection,’’ in Abuja.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria, Fowler also announced that Nigerians who either want a new passport or renew an old one must show evidence of being a tax-payer.
His words: “We did take a position and I believe it would be implemented in the very near future that before you get any services from the immigration department: renewal of passports etc, you’d have to show that you are a tax payer.
“These things are normal all over the world and it would help us to serve Nigerians and Nigeria better.
“People believe that payment of tax is a burden and I’ll repeat that you only pay tax on income and profits.
“So, if you reside in Nigeria and you are benefiting from being a Nigerian resident, it is only fair that you contribute to the system that makes you enjoy that standard of living.’’
Fowler also added that the FIRS set a target to increase the individual taxpayer data base by 10 million by December 31, this year.
“I’m glad with our co-operation; we’ve been able to attain 30 per cent of that. We’ve been able to get three million individual taxpayers across the nation.
“I’d like to congratulate Kano State for leading the pack by increasing the database by 944,000 followed by Lagos with 306,000 then Kaduna and Plateau,’’ he said.
Meanwhile, the validity period of international passport is set to be extended to 10 years according to the Comptroller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service, (NIS) Muhammad Babandede. The move comes as a result of several complaints from Nigerians.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for faster updates
TOP POSTS YESTERDAY
- How Yataka Indimi broke Nasarawa First Lady’s arm during fight at Zahra Buhari’s introduction – You need to see this!
- Reasons why girls cheat so easily on their guy – The real truth!
- 9 Countries where Nigerians can easily get permanent residency – #2 will shock you!
- The real cause of Dagrin’s death – They lied to us (+Pics)
- I found an iPhone on the ground and what I found in its photo gallery terrified me..
- Meet the rich kids in Africa; From Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya – that luxury lifestyle! (With Pictures)
- 6 Nigerian footballers and their kids – #5 is too cute for words
- Top 10 Nigerian celebrities you didn’t know are siblings (With Pictures)
- Top 5 richest Nigerian musicians in 2016 – the money in their bank accounts will shock you!