Nigerians living with HIV: A new report has revealed the alarmingly large number of people currently living with the deadly HIV/AIDS virus in Nigeria. The AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) has revealed that Nigeria ranks the second largest number of people living with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) in the whole world with over three (3) million Nigerians living with the virus.
- How Naira went from N525/$1 to N400/$1 in 3 days – You will love Yemi Osinbajo after reading this
- 8 lies women tell you after s*x.. – If she says #4…. Just forget about her!
- Full Video: Bally and TBoss insult themselves, almost fight in #BBNaija house last night
- The 20 most convincing photos of ghosts ever taken – #9 will give you the creeps (See Photos)
According to Daily Sun, Africa’s Bureau Chief of AHF, Dr. Penninah Lutung, who disclosed this in an interview in Makurdi, the Benue State capital, said West Africa ranked lowest in the prevalence rate of the virus in the Africa continent.
His words, “The prevalence of HIV is highest in the South Africa region where it is about 10 percent and South Africa has 18 percent followed by the East Africa bloc where prevalence rate is between 5 and 8 percent but West Africa overall has the lowest prevalence rate while Nigeria has about 3.4 percent.
“But Nigeria is a large country such that 3.4 percent in actual number means that about 3 million people are living with HIV in the country. In the whole world, Nigeria has the second largest number of people living with HIV.”
Lutung however said the AHF’s vision of global AIDS control, the epidemic can be controlled if new infections are reduced drastically through the current number of strategies and modules being used as combination prevention.
The Africa’s Bureau Chief stressed further that the foundation had existed for 30 years in 13 African countries including Nigeria which is only five years old in its service.
Commenting, Country Programme Manager of AHF, Dr. Adetayo Towolawi, intimated that the foundation had committed more than N25 million to four new projects in Benue which included the building of new structures and rehabilitation of existing clinics donated to Daudu, Agasha, Gbajimba and Agan communities in different local government areas of the state.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- Full Video: Bally sucks Ese’s breast #BBNaija
- 10 celebrity lookalikes that proves time travel really exists – You will think #6 & #8 were ‘photoshopped’ (With Pics)
- The 20 most corrupt Nigerians dead or alive – The amount of money #1 stole can feed all Nigerians
- 13 countries with the most powerful militaries in the world – #5 will definitely stun you
- Full Video: The Big Brother Shower hour everyone has been looking for.. (#BBNaija)
- 5 places girls want you to touch in their body that’ll blow their mind – (These are her weak points)
- The 13 most feared criminals in the world right now – #3 is Nigerian and this will make you shiver (With Pictures)