In what has been described as “the world’s largest artificial sun”, Scientists in Germany have flipped the switch in a breakthrough on technology as they hope that it will help shed light on new ways of making climate-friendly fuel.
According to Dailymail UK, the newly launched “Synlight” experiment is made up of 149 high-powered lamps totalling about 350 kilowatts, in Juelich, a small town in the western state of North Rhine Westphalia.
Starting on Thursday, scientists from the German Aerospace Center will start experimenting with this dazzling array to try to find ways of tapping the enormous amount of energy that reaches Earth in the form of light from the sun.
One area of research will focus on how to efficiently produce hydrogen, a first step toward making artificial fuel for airplanes.
The experiment uses as much electricity in four hours as a four-person household would in a year.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- See the hilarious Whatsapp chat between Thin Tall Tony & his wife after he got evicted on BBNaija
- 10 world’s richest people of all time – Bill Gates is not even on the list & #7 is an African (With Pics)
- Meet the richest kids of all time who attended UNILAG – These guys spend like there’s no recession (With Photos)
- 15 horrible facts Dubai does not want the world to know about – This will leave you in utter shock (With Pics)
- A-List Nigerian celebrities who married richer men – #5, #2 and #1 are regretting now (With Photos)
- 15 Nigerian billionaires that own private Jets -Number 3 has up to five Aircrafts (With Pictures)
- The history of Big Brother – How it started and all the winners that have emerged over the years (#BBNaija)