Postinor 2 has become popular in Nigeria because many women especially the unmarried ones use it as an alternative for birth control. Unfortunately, frequent use of this pill can cause serious health damage.
What is Postinor 2?
Postinor-2 is an emergency contraceptive also known as “The Morning After Pill”. It is not intended as a regular method of contraception. It is used to prevent pregnancy when taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse.
Postinor-2 will prevent 85% of expected pregnancies. 95% of expected pregnancies will be prevented if taken within the first 24 hours, declining to 58% if taken between 48 hours and 72 hours after unprotected intercourse.
What are the side effects of using Postinor 2?
- Common side effects are tiredness, nausea, and vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea, dizziness, headache, tender breasts, increased vaginal bleeding and skin reactions.
- It can also cause a delay in your next period or make it come earlier than usual.
- Using it too frequently will make the drug less effective.
- If you use it more than once in a menstrual cycle, it can disrupt your cycle.
- Taking it when you’re already pregnant can cause you to have an ectopic pregnancy.
- Postinor 2 can also increase the risks of having breast cancer.
What are the alternatives available?
To avoid these side effects there are different birth control options that you can choose from. Your personal situation will help guide you to choose the best option for your needs.