Liver cleansing: The liver, weighing in at about 3 pounds in healthy adults, is one of the body’s vital organs. It is responsible for many important functions related to digestion, metabolism, immunity and the storage of nutrients that the body needs to survive.
- 25 truthful reasons why girls cheat so easily on their guy
- How to make your hair grow faster..
- Meet the top 10 sexiest Bollywood actresses [+Photos]
- Top 10 universities in Nigeria 2015 – See which is number 1 now…
- Wives of Nigerian comedians; Who is the most beautiful amongst them? [+Photos]
Moreover, the liver is a gland that secretes chemicals required by other parts of the body. In fact, the liver is the only part of your body that is both an organ and a gland.
A healthy liver regulates the composition of blood, removes harmful toxins from the blood as well as processes and converts nutrients absorbed by the intestines during digestion into forms that the body can use. It also stores some vitamins, iron and simple sugar glucose.
It is also responsible for breaking down insulin, hemoglobin and other hormones. In addition, it destroys old red blood cells and produces chemicals needed for blood to clot properly.
Because the liver performs so many vital functions, it is important to keep it healthy. An unhealthy diet and poor lifestyle can overwork and overload the liver, leaving it unable to process toxins and fat efficiently.