Nigerian billionaire Folorunsho Alakija overthrows Oprah Winfrey as the richest black woman in the world
Folorunsho Alakija overthrows Oprah Winfrey: Mother-of-four, Folorunsho Alakija, 62, began her vocation as a secretary in a bank then considered form and propelled a name however her enormous break was oil. According to Forbes, Oprah Winfrey is worth $2.9 billions
- Checkout Nigerian police ranks and salaries – You wont believe the amount they take home monthly (With Pics)
- 12 things a girl does when she likes you already – If you notice #10, you got her bro!
- Before you start judging TTT, look at what his wife just wrote about him..
- Nigerian celebrities who don’t know how to dress at all – #2 is hopeless – (With Photos)
Move over Oprah: Nigerian oil tycoon Folorunsho Alakija, pictured in September, is now the richest black woman in the world with an estimated fortune of $7.3 billion
Africa boasts 55 billionaires – far more than previously thought – and they’re worth a staggering $143.88 billion in total, according to pan-African magazine Ventures Africa.
Starting her career as a secretary in a bank in the mid 1970s, Alakija, 62, then studied fashion in London and returned to Nigeria to start a label, Supreme Stitches. But her biggest break came in oil.
In 1993, her company, Famfa Oil, was awarded an oil prospecting license, which later became OML 127, one of the country’s most prolific oil blocks, by then-president Ibrahim Babangida.
The company owned a 60 per cent stake in the block until 2000 when the Nigerian government unconstitutionally acquired a 50 per cent interest without duly compensating Alakija or Famda Oil.
In May 2012, Alakija, a married mother-of-four, challenged the acquisition and the Nigerian Supreme Court reinstated the 50 per cent stake to her company.
She also has a charity called the Rose of Sharon foundation that helps widows and orphans by empowering them through scholarships and business grants.
Forbes magazine had estimated Alakija’s fortune at $600 million, as of November 2012, but the magazine’s editor-in-chief Uzodinma Iweala said his researchers were ‘closer to the ground.’
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- 5 things you should do immediately you feel your lover is slipping away – #5 is the key
- 10 things you should never, ever search on Google – Read this to avoid being traced (With Photos)
- Man cuts his wife’s body into pieces in Lagos (Graphic Photos)
- 15 most beautiful Actresses in the world – You won’t believe who #1 is (With Pictures)
- #BBNaija: See what TTT’s wife did after he had s*x with Bisola and collected “headies from her”
- 15 shortest Hollywood celebrity marriages ever – #1 lasted for only 55 hours (With Pictures)
- 10 Nollywood celebrity marriages that have lasted more than 15years – You wont believe #8 is even married (With Pics)