Why Igbo men are successful in business: I did not witness the Nigerian Civil war (1968-1970) because I was not born by that time, but I have read a lot about it in addition to listening to eye witness accounts from those who were there and even fought on different sides. The Igbos lost almost everything during the war. They abandoned their businesses and properties outside Igbo land and moved home for safety reasons as they became easy targets for mischief makers.
- Full Video: Bassey sucks Coco Ice’s nipples as she strips in Big Brother Naija show (#BBNaija)
- Top 20 richest Nigerian musicians and their net worth, Davido Beats Wizkid – #3 is a new comer
- 15 Nollywood stars you still may not know have died – This list will leave you in a big shock! (+Photos)
- 7 drinks you need to stop drinking now before they kill you!
These assets were mostly forfeited, confiscated or hijacked. This was the era when the term “Abandoned Property” became popular and real.
After the war, they were subjected to further financial and economic hardship, as their bank accounts were credited with a flat rate of 20 pounds irrespective of the volume of Biafra pounds in those accounts, effectively rendering them penniless.
This happened almost fifty years ago, as today the Igbos have moved on with their lives conquering the Nigerian business environment and building large business empires for themselves. Everywhere in Nigeria today, you will find very successful Igbo business men and women making the country proud in their various entrepreneurial pursuits.
How did they do it despite all the setback and challenges?. These should be some of the reasons why they have become a phenomenon in entrepreneurship.
1. Courage: The average Igbo is very courageous and ready to surmount every challenge in the pursuit of anything he sets out to accomplish. They are also very adventurous and ready to relocate to new places despite the inherent risks, as long as they can see opportunities. There is probably at least one Igbo man or woman in every country in the world.